Milan- A tour of the city with a history
10 Best Places to visit with kids and family in Milan, Italy
Milan is situated in the northern part of Italy in the Lombardy region. It is known as the fashion hub of Italy, and the high-end restaurants and pubs make the city very popular among the locals and the tourists alike. The city Milan is the financial center of the nation and houses the national stock exchange. You can find a number of historical sites and buildings throughout the city. If you want a tour filled with ancient artifacts and locations, then you must visit Milan. Tourists can find a number of world-class hotels and restaurants and premium shopping sites too.
Some of the best places to visit in Milan with your family are listed below.
- Il Duomo, Milan: Also known as Milan’s Duomo or the Cathedral has the distinction of being the largest gothic cathedral in the world. This cathedral has to be on the list of spots to visit in Milan. As it is in the center of the city, this cathedral is one of the leading attractions for the tourists. If you are in this city, you cannot miss this structure. The construction of this cathedral started in the year 1386, but due to various reasons, it took about five hundred years to finish construction. The cathedral has fifty-two pillars and one hundred and thirty-five intricately carved pinnacles. The cathedral is situated in the Piazza del Duomo, which is the historical hub of the city. This structure has a historical importance and is popular among the tourists. This would be a lovely destination for a tour with the entire family, and the grandeur of the cathedral is sure to make the kids wonder.
- Leonardo Da Vinci’s The Last Supper in Milan: The famous painting by the legendary artist Leonardo da Vinci is housed in the Santa Maria Delle Grazie church and is visited by a number of The church was bombed during the World War II, but miraculously the painting survived, and now it is carefully maintained and available for the public to observe the marvel. This scene was painted on the walls of the church and changed the form of painting as it was known then. Viewing this masterpiece is an experience in itself, and if you visit this city, then you must not miss this opportunity.
- Gallerio Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan: This is probably the most beautiful shopping complex and houses showrooms of some of the most premium brands. The complex is topped with a forty-eight-meter high glass dome and a beautiful mosaic floor. The complex has a number of restaurants, shops and bars lined up. This structure was the beginning of modern architecture in Italy, and till now this is a very popular spot among the locals, and you can see a lot of people hanging out and enjoying coffee from some of the best cafeterias in this city. If you love shopping, then this offers you the best combination of premium shops with a vibrant location to enjoy your day out.
- La Scala Opera House in Milan: It has the distinction of being called the best opera house in the world and the audience at this opera house is considered to be the most demanding. This opera house has a sitting capacity of about two thousand and five hundred. Getting tickets for the opera is often difficult, so it will be better if the tickets are booked in advance. The performances in this opera are marvelous and is an attraction that cannot be found anywhere in the world. The opera house also has a museum attached to it. The museum contains costumes and items of past performances like antique musical instruments used by famous directors who performed in this opera house. A night of such great performance coupled with a tour of the museum will enthrall you and your family.
- Castello Sforzesco in Milan: This castle is located in near the center of the city and has beautiful courtyards. The castle is seventy meters high and has been maintained for the tourists to have a glimpse of the history of the city. The castle houses a number of museums containing various precious artifacts and paintings. One of the major attractions of the museums is Michelangelo’s last masterpiece, the Pieta Rondanini. Apart from the museums, you can enjoy in the large and beautiful courtyards adjoining the castle. It is a place suitable for kids as well as the adults. The kids can have fun in the courtyards while the adults indulge themselves into some art.
- Gardaland Water Park in Milan: The best place to visit if you visit Milan in summer. The kids will absolutely love it, and you can have a fun day out with the family. There is also a section just for toddlers and babies. There are a number of rides and water slides that the children can enjoy and splash around in the water. It can get very tiring but fun nonetheless.
- Prehistoric Park in Milan: This park is a very interesting attraction for the tourists and those who love dinosaurs. Kids will be fascinated with the life-sized The park is spread over a large area covered with forests and greenery. The park also contains a museum, a small zoo, and maze. You can also attend a fossil exhibition at the park. The children will have a good time and enjoy seeing the majestic creatures. They will also get an opportunity to know a lot about the prehistoric animals through the exhibitions and the museums. The park also features a train for the tourists and the amenities in the park will keep you energized throughout the day to visit all the parts of the park.
- Aquario Civico in Milan: This aquarium has a comprehensive collection of sea creatures and depicts the sea life in a very interesting This building is very old and has a lot of history embedded in it. The aquarium is now maintained and is free for guests. Thirty-six tanks house about a hundred unique species of sea creatures. Tourists who love fishes and other sea animals will have a wonderful time in here. This aquarium also contains a modern classroom, a well-stocked library, a bookshop and a café. These amenities will let you enjoy the entire aquarium with all your energy.
- Simplon Park in Milan: Everyone loves a park, and this wonderful park has been a favorite among the locals for a long time. The park is located near the Sforza castle and the Arch of Peace. One can visit the various sites within the park itself, like the Palace of Art and the Torre Branca tower which is three hundred and fifty-six-foot-high and offers spectacular views of the city. This park is a very family friendly place, and you can enjoy in the lake or let your kids play on the playground. You can even enjoy a nice and cozy picnic in the park. The park is perfect for a quiet walk along the trails and tourists can take benefit of the free wireless connectivity present in the park.
- Parco Aventura in Milan: The perfect place for tourists who are looking for some adventurous activities and seeking some thrill in the city. It has an amazing zip line course coupled with walkways, pulley, and There are trained guides to assist the tourists and to make sure that the safety rules and regulations are being followed. The guides will make sure that the equipment is working correctly and that the activities are done safely. This is a perfect place for kids and adults alike. Children of all age will get to enjoy the thrilling activities. It is located at a spot twenty-five minutes from Milan, in the Rugareto Park. The tourists can enjoy nature and the fresh air while enjoying activities like trekking and hiking. The trip may be a bit tiring, but it surely is worth it. This park offers you the best chance to get close to nature and enjoy the lush green forests.
Milan is considered as the center of fashion in Italy, and you can find a number of showrooms of prominent brands. If you are not shy to spend some money, then this city will offer a wide range of products to choose from. The city has a number of five star rated hotels and restaurants. You can enjoy your stay in any of the premium hotels. A very interesting thing about this city is the food. You can have a taste of the authentic Italian food in any of the restaurants and can enjoy Italian snacks and the local cuisines in the numerous cafes scattered throughout the city. Kids will love the food offered by the city like fresh pizzas and pasta. Food items like gelato are especially good in here. They would love the various flavours of ice-cream being sold in the city. Overall this city has something for everyone and getting bored in this city is very difficult.